Arisi Upma – Rice Upma
Arisi Upma aka Rice Upma is one of the easiest South-Indian Upma varieties to prepare 🙂 ya ya, I hear you saying “Which Upma is difficult to cook???”. This one does not even ask you to do any chopping 😀 Yep, this is a “no-onion & no-garlic” dish, which would be ideal for Fasting days. Just go ahead and read my mom’s recipe of Arisi Upma, you would get to know. And, this is quite tasty too. You can enjoy this easy and delicious one-pot tiffin for breakfast or dinner.
Over to Arisi Upma / Rice Upma Recipe from Home Making Delight..
Arisi Upma (Rice Upma) Recipe:
1) Rice Rava (Arisi Rava/ Broken Rice) – 1 cup
2) Water – 2 cups (If rice is not broken properly – add 1/4 of a cup more)
3) Sieve (Definitely, Not an ingredient!! 😀 But, You might need this for preparing the dish)
4) Mustard seeds (Kadugu) – 2 tsps
5) Green chilly (Milagai) – 2 (Or Red chillies)
6) Ginger (Inji) – a small piece
7) Curry leaves (Kariveppilai) – a few (Per your taste)
8) Cilantro (Kothamalli Thazhai/Coriander leaves) – a few(Per your taste)
9) Urad dhal (Ulutham paruppu) – 1 tsp
10) Toor Dhal (Thuvaram paruppu) – 3 tbsps
11) Vegetable Oil – 2 tbsp (Coconut oil can also be used)
12) Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp (Optional, Highly recommended) [OR] 2 tbsp veg oil
13) Asafoetida (Hing/Perungayam) – 3 tsp
14) Grated Coconut – 3 tbsp (Optional)
15) salt – as needed
Broken Upma Rice Preparation:
Sprinkle (DO NOT POUR) water over the Raw rice (pacharisi) and mix it well. Let it sit for 45 minutes. Put it in a mixer Grinder and grind coarsely (One or two GOs in a mixie would do) such that the rice is broken into not more that two or three parts (DO NOT POWDER IT).
You can also use a sieve to filter out the rice powder, if any. The rice should be coarsely ground, if not , Upma would become too pasty.
Broken rice can be prepared in advance and stored for future use. I normally store it in refrigerator to avoid insects.
Arisi Upma Preparation:
This Rice Upma can be directly prepared in the rice cooker.
1) Heat vegetable oil/ Coconut oil in the pressure cooker and once it is hot enough, add mustard seeds and Urad dhal.
2) Once they begin to splutter, add curry leaves, green chillies and Ginger pieces.
3) Now add, Toor dhal (Tuvar dhal / Thuvaram paruppu) and saute well.
4) Add the broken rice rava and mix well.
5) Add the required water. Add salt and asafoetida and mix well.
6) Close the lid and pressure cook it for 2 whistles.
7) Wait until the pressure is released completely and add the coconut oil and mix well.
8) Add the grated coconut, if you like it.
9) Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with Sambhar/Kothsu of your choice 🙂
1) Ensure that the broken rice is not so powdery.
2) you can use the traditional pan – “Vengala Sundu” – “bronze Kadai” for preparing the Arisi Upma. You have to stir and mix well until all the water is absorbed by Rice.
You have just unlocked the Arisi Upma Recipe aka Rice Upma Recipe from HomeMakingDelight. Feel free to take a tour of our space to learn more 🙂
Have a great recipe or a different version of this delicacy? Have the heart to share? Come on, don’t be shy! Just send the recipe (only Vegan/Vegetarian please) to us via email with your photograph (Optional, if you don’t want that to be published here) and the final picture of your delicacy.. 🙂 We would try the same with our step-by-step photos and publish with your name and photo.. 🙂
Subject: New Recipe – HomeMakingDelight –
Tried this recipe? Please send us with your name and photo (Optional) and the final picture of your delicacy (Not at all optional 😀 ). We would love to publish that here 🙂
Subject: Tried Recipe – HomeMakingDelight –
If you like our space, subscribe to our blog via email to get instant updates on our new posts 🙂 You can also follow us by clicking on the “follow” button on the right side widget 🙂
We would be happy to receive your feedback on this recipe 🙂 That would really mean a lot to us.
ALL THE CONTENTS in this site are copyrighted toHOMEMAKINGDELIGHT. Plagiarism is a punishable offence by law.
Arisi Upma – Rice Upma Recipe