Kothamalli Thogayal Recipe – Cilantro leaves thogayal
Kothamalli Thogayal (or) cilantro thogayal (or) coriander thogayal is an easy, simple aromatic gravy prepared from Coriander leaves mixed and ground with fried dhal. This easy-to-prepare thogayal goes well with plain rice and is a great accompaniment to Curd rice and rasam rice. This can also be eaten with idly/dosa/Upma varieties.
Thogayal (aka thuvayal, thovayal, thugayal) is the simple chutney-like dish that is usually prepared by raw grinding or little-sauteed grinding of simple ingredients. There are so many varieties of Thogayal prepared in South India – Poondu Thogayal (Garlic Thogayal), Thengai Thogayal (Coconut Thogayal , karivepilai Thogayal (Curry leaves thogayal), paruppu thogayal (Dhal thogayal), kothamalli thogayal (coriander leaves thogayal) etc. I would be posting all those as and when it is possible for me. Do watch this space for more updates. For now, let’s see coriander thuvayal 🙂
Over to Kothamalli Thogayal recipe from Home Making Delight..
Kothamalli Thogayal Recipe
Cilantro – 3/4 bunch (or) 2 cups chopped cilantro (Tightly packed)
Red Chillies – 4
Tamarind – a very small piece (Optional)
Onion – 1
Urad dhal – 2 tbsp
Channa dhal – 2 tbsp
Salt – as needed
Water – 1/6 of a cup
Cooking Oil – 1 tbsp
1) Heat Oil in a pan and add the Channa dhal, mix well and then add urad dhal and saute well until they turn slightly brown.
2) Add onions and saute until they turn pink.
3) Now, add red chilles and saute.
4) Switch off the stove and cilantro and mix well when it is hot.
5) Let it cool down and then add salt and tamarind and grind them together.
6) Add water little by little and grind until you get a coarse paste-like gravy.
7) Serve the kothamalli thovayal with hot steaming Rice/ dosa/ Idly/ Adai 🙂
1) Don’t grind the kothamalli thogayal to a smooth paste.
2) Add gingelly oil or ghee to rice before mixing with the thogayal for a great taste 🙂
3) Add water little by little and grind or it may not get mixed properly.
If you like our space, please like HomeMakingDelight on FB (See the Right widget for LIKE Button) to get instant updates on our new posts. Please do share it via Facebook/Twitter/Pinterest/Google+ etc
We would be happy to receive your feedback on this recipe That would really mean a lot to us.
You have just unlocked the “kothamalli thuvayal” recipe from Home Making Delight. Feel free to take a tour of our space to learn more
Have a great recipe or a different version of this delicacy? Have the heart to share? Come on, don’t be shy! Just send the recipe (only Vegan/Vegetarian please) to us via email with your photograph (Optional, if you don’t want that to be published here) and the final/all pictures of your delicacy We would try the same with our step-by-step photos and publish with your name and photo..
Subject: New Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
Tried this recipe? Please send us with your name and photo (Optional) and the final picture of your delicacy (Not at all optional :D). We would love to publish that here
Subject: Tried Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
ALL THE CONTENTS in this site are copyrighted to HOMEMAKINGDELIGHT. Plagiarism is a punishable offence by law.