Rotti Kuzhambu or Roti Kulambu
Rotti Kuzhambu or Roti Kulambu is an easy side dish prepared for Roti/Chapathi/Paratha/Poori/Naan/Kulchas. Roti Kozhambu is made out of shallots (small/baby onions), garlic cooked in mashed moong dhal along with other vegetables.
My mom used to prepare this very nicely and I got this recipe from her. Few days back, I prepared this during a small family get-together along with pooris and everyone loved it. Few of my aunts were impressed so much and they even got the recipe from me 🙂 Now, let me take you to learn the recipe of easy and healthy “Rotti Kuzhambu” from Home Making Delight 🙂
Over to the recipe of “ROTI KOLAMBU” from Home-Making delight….
Rotti Kuzhambu or Roti Kulambu RECIPE
1) Small onions (or) shallots (or) baby onions – 12-15
2) Garlic pods (Poondu) – 12 – 15
3) Tomato – 1
4) Vegetable (or edible) Oil – 1 tbsp
5) Ghee – 1 tbsp (or 1 tbsp Vegetable (or edible) oil)
6) Cumin seeds (Jeera/Jeeragam) – 1 tsp
7) Turmeric powder – 2 tsp
8) Carrot (Medium sized) – 1
9) Potatoes – 3
10) Peas – 1/4 of a cup (Optional)
11) Salt – as required
12) Curry leaves (Karivepilai) – a few
13) Boiled Moong Dhal (Pasi paruppu/ Payatham paruppu) – half a cup
14) Bay leaf (Taste paththa/Brinji Ilai) – 1
15) Cinnamon stick (Pattai) -1 (a small piece, say 1 inch)
16) Cloves (krambu)– 2 (Optional)
17) Poppy seeds (kasakasa) – 1 tsp
18) Star anise (Annasippu) – 1
19) Water – as needed
20) Green chillies – 4
21) Cilantro (Kothamalli Thazhai) chopped – a few tsp
1) Pressure-cook the Moong dhal (Add a tsp of turmeric) along with potatoes (cut into half) and carrot (Cut in circles). If you are using processed peas, then soak it for 8 hours and pressure cook the peas too.
2) Once cooked, peel the skin off and mash the potatoes well. Mash the moong dhal well and keep these ready.
3) Heat ghee/oil in a pan and bay leaves, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, star anise, poppy seeds, cloves and saute well.
4) Now add garlic, curry leaves and small onions and saute well until the shallots turn pink.
5) Add chopped green chillies and tomatoes and saute until tomatoes turn mushy. Add salt to speed up the process.
6) Then add cooked potatoes, peas and carrots. Saute for 2 minutes.
7) Now, add water and bring it to boil.
1) Even Idlies/Dosas would go well with this Roti Kuzhambu 🙂
2) Let the dhal be completely cooked so that it wont be visible in the kuzhambu. It should be blended properly.
3) If kids don’t prefer garlic, just cut them into small pieces so that they would eat it. We normally would add the whole pods.
4) If the vegetables are not cooked beforehand, it would take lot more time for preparation. After adding the water, ensure that the vegetables are well cooked and then add dhal.
5) After adding dhal, ensure that you keep the stove in low/medium flame and stir frequently to avoid the dhal from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
You have just unlocked the “Roti Kulambu” Recipe from HomeMakingDelight. Feel free to take a tour of our space to learn more 🙂
Have a great recipe or a different version of this delicacy? Have the heart to share? Come on, don’t be shy! Just send the recipe (only Vegan/Vegetarian please) to us via email with your photograph (Optional, if you don’t want that to be published here) and the final/all pictures of your delicacy 🙂 We would try the same with our step-by-step photos and publish with your name and photo.. 🙂
Subject: New Recipe – HomeMakingDelight –
Tried this recipe? Please send us with your name and photo (Optional) and the final picture of your delicacy (Not at all optional :D). We would love to publish that here 🙂
Subject: Tried Recipe – HomeMakingDelight –
If you like our space, subscribe to our blog via email to get instant updates on our new posts 🙂 You can also follow us by clicking on the “follow” button on the right side widget 🙂 Please do share it via Facebook/Twitter/Pinterest/Google+ etc
We would be happy to receive your feedback on this recipe 🙂 That would really mean a lot to us.
ALL THE CONTENTS in this site are copyrighted to HOMEMAKINGDELIGHT. Plagiarism is a punishable offence by law.