Curry leaves Kulambu – karivepilai kuzhambu
Curry leaves Kulambu called as karivepilai Kuzhambu in Tamil is a healthy recipe prepared by grinding curry leaves along with a few spices and dhal and then cooked in tamarind water. This one is listed under “Pathiya Samayal Recipes” (Healthy recipes) recommended for pregnant women.
Health benefits of Curry leaves:
1) Good source of Iron and Folic acid and hence fights anaemia
2) Prevents Skin infections
3) Accelerates hair growth
4) Aids digestion
So, include this Curry leaves kuzhambu more frequently in your diet.
Curry leaves Kuzhambu – karivepilai kulambu Recipe
1) Curry leaves – 3/4 cup
2) Coriander leaves/ Cilantro – 1/4 cup
3) Pepper – 2 tbsp
4) Toor Dhal (Tuvar dhal/Thuvaram Paruppu) – 2 tbsp
5) Urad dhal (Uluntham paruppu) – 2 tbsp
6) Red chillies – 2
7) Tamarind – a ball of lemon size
8) Ginger – an inch piece
9) Gingelly Oil – 1 tbsp + 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp
10) Fenugreek seeds (Vendhayam) – 1/2 tsp
11) Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
12) Asafoetida (Hing/Perungayam) – 1 tsp
13) Water – as needed
14) salt – as needed
15) Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
1) Heat a tbsp of gingelly oil in a kadai and saute the Urad dhal, Toor dhal, Pepper, ginger, red chillies. Take care not to burn the dhal.
2) Add curry leaves and cilantro (Chopped) and saute for a few seconds and then switch off the stove. Let it cool.
3) Once cooled down, grind it into a smooth paste in a mixie by adding water little by little.
4) Soak tamarind in water for a few minutes (Use hot water to make it fast) and then extract the juice.
5) Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. When the mustard starts to splutter, add the ground paste and saute well. It would be sticking to the pan. So, saute properly.
6) Now, add the tamarind water and bring it to boil.
7) Add salt, turmeric powder and hing and mix well. After a few minutes (say 4 minutes approximately) , keep in simmer mode.
8) Let the Curry leaves kuzhambu get to a thick paste-like form. Switch off the flame.
9) Add a tbsp of gingelly oil to it and mix well. Garnish with cilantro, if needed.
10) Serve the Curry leaves kuzhambu hot with steaming rice 🙂
1) Add gingelly oil/ghee to hot steaming rice and mix with this kuzhambu and serve hot 🙂
2) This kuzhambu would cool down the body and is a must for new mommies and expectant mothers.
If you like our space, subscribe to our blog via email to get instant updates on our new posts 🙂 You can also follow us by clicking on the “follow” button on the right side widget and follow us on FB!!
You have just unlocked the Curry leaves Kuzhambu Recipe from HomeMakingDelight. Feel free to take a tour of our space to learn more 🙂 We would be happy to receive your feedback on this recipe 🙂 That would really mean a lot to us.
Have a great recipe or a different version of this delicacy? Have the heart to share? Come on, don’t be shy! Just send the recipe (only Vegan/Vegetarian please) to us via email with your photograph (Optional, if you don’t want that to be published here) and the final/all pictures of your delicacy (Not at all optional :D) 🙂 We would try the same with our step-by-step photos and publish with your name and photo. 🙂
Subject: New Recipe – HomeMakingDelight –
Tried this recipe? Please send us with your name and photo (Optional) and the final picture of your delicacy (Not at all optional 😀 ). We would love to publish that here 🙂
Subject: Tried Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
ALL THE CONTENTS in this site are copyrighted to HOMEMAKINGDELIGHT. Plagiarism is a punishable offence by law.