Kumbakonam kadappa Recipe
Kadappa – A yummy gravy aka kumbakonam kadappa that is prepared by cooking vegetables in moong dhal and seasoned by Indian spices and grated coconut. This is so famous in and around kumbakonam and Tanjore areas of Tamil Nadu. Many hotels would serve Idly/Dosa with Kadappa there. Having hailed from that region, I have tasted authentic Kadappa often. I feel that it is both mild and spicy at the same time and its taste is kind of inexplicable. I would like to have it with Idly, dosa, Arisi Upma and even Pooris and chapathis.
The preparation methosd is a bit lengthy. But, the taste is totally worth it 🙂 Do try it and let us know how you liked it. Here comes its recipe for Home Making Delight viewers.. 🙂
Kumbakonam kadappa Recipe
Onions – 2
Tomato – 1
Poppy seeds (Kasa Kasa) – 2 tbsp
Salt – as needed
Curry leaves – a few
Cilantro/Coriander leaves (Kothamalli Thazhai) chopped – a few tsp
Bay leaf (Taste paththa/Brinji Ilai) – 1
Cinnamon stick (Pattai) -1 (a small piece, say 1 inch)
Cloves (krambu)– 2 (Optional)
Ginger-Garlic paste (Inji-Poondu vizhudhu) – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder (Manjal Thool) – 1 tsp (Used while cooking Dhal)
Star anise (Annasippu) – 1
Ghee/Butter/Edible Oil – 2 tbsps
Water – as needed
Cashews – 8-10 (Optional)
Grated coconut – half a cup
Fennel seeds (Sombu) – 4 tbsp
Green Chillies – 3
To Pressure Cook:
Moong Dhal (Pasi paruppu/ payatham paruppu)- 1/4 cup (After cooking, it should be 3/4 cup)
Potatoes (Medium sized) – 3/4
1) Soak Poppy seeds in water for 10 minutes.
2) Pressure cook Moong dhal and potatoes separately. Mash moong dhal well.
3) Mash potatoes coarsely and keep it aside.
4) Grind the ingredients mentioned under “to grind” section along with soaked poppy seeds by adding water little by little. Make it a paste.
5) Heat Oil/butter/ghee in a kadai and add mustard seeds, jeera seeds (cumin seeds) and then add bay leaves, cloves cinnamon stick and star anise.
6) Add finely chopped onions and saute untile they turn transparent.
7) Now, add ginger garlic paste and saute well.
8) Add chopped tomatoes and curry leaves and suate until the tomatoes turn mushy.
9) Now, add water and bring it to boil. Add the required salt.
10) Add the cooked dhal and mix well. Dhal should not be visible at all and it should have blended well in the gravy.
11) After two minutes, add potatoes to the gravy and mix well.
12) Let it sit for two more minutes and then add the ground paste.
13) Kadappa served in hotels would be bit watery and I like that. Add little more water, if you want and let it get cooked for 3 minutes.
14) Check for the salt and turn the stove off and add finely chopped coriander leaves.
15) Serve the kadappa hot with Idly/Dosa/Pongal.
1) Kadappa woule be white in color, as we have not added turmeric powder to the gravy directly. If you prefer, you can add that to kadappa.
2) Few people won’t prefer sombu (Fennel). They can grind cumin seeds (Jeera) instead of sombu.
3) This gravy would go well with Idiyappam and Pongal too 🙂 Try that out.
4) You can add other vegetables (Carrot, cauliflower, peas) also, if you want.
You have just unlocked the “Kumbakonam kadappa” recipe from Home Making Delight. Feel free to take a tour of our space to learn more
If you like our space, subscribe to our blog via email to get instant updates on our new posts. You can also follow us by clicking on the “follow” button on the right side widget and like us on FB!!
We would be happy to receive your feedback on this recipe. That would really mean a lot to us.
Have a great recipe or a different version of this delicacy? Have the heart to share? Come on, don’t be shy! Just send the recipe (only Vegan/Vegetarian please) to us via email with your photograph (Optional, if you don’t want that to be published here) and the final/all pictures of your delicacy. We would try the same with our step-by-step photos and publish with your name and photo..
Subject: New Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
Tried this recipe? Please send us with your name and photo (Optional) and the final picture of your delicacy (Not at all optional :D). We would love to publish that here.
Subject: Tried Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
ALL THE CONTENTS in this site are copyrighted to HOMEMAKINGDELIGHT. Plagiarism is a punishable offense by law.