Murungai keerai poriyal – Drumstick leaves stir-fry
Hope you are all doing good!! 🙂 You have reached a page where a healthy recipe is waiting for you to be read 😀 Go ahead and enjoy the recipe of Murungai keerai poriyal (Drumstick leaves stir- fry) – a side dish made out of healthy greens. Last week, I bought drumstick leaves from a street-side vendor and she offered the recipe for free and here it goes.. 🙂 She suggested to add eggs to the dish, but as I don’t cook eggs, I have excluded that. If you wish, you can add that too.. 🙂
Murungai Keerai Poriyal – Drumstick leaves stir fry – Moringa subzi – Healthy side dish made by stir-frying the healthy drumstick leaves with onions and corn kernels. Drumstick leaves would be bitter which would be mostly suppressed by making it this way as “Murungai keerai stir fry”.
Health benefits of Drumstick leaves:
1) Helps to stabilize blood pressure
2) Recommended for diabetic patients
3) Would kill intestinal worms
4) It is rich in anti-oxidants and thus helps in improving the skin texture and nourishes bone and eyes.
Over to Murungai keerai poriyal recipe from Home Making Delight…
Murungai keerai poriyal – Drumstick leaves stir-fry Recipe
1) Drumstick leaves(Murungai keerai) – a bunch
2) Onions – 2
3) Oil – 3 tbsp
4) Mustard seeds (kadugu) – 2 tsp
5) Urad dhal (Ulutham paruppu) – 2 tsp
6) Red chilles – 4
7) Salt – as needed
8) Asafoetida (Perungayam) – 2 tsp
9) Corn – half a cup (optional)
10) Grated coconut – 2 tbsp (Optional, Recommended)
11) Corn flour (Rice flour) – 2 tsp
1) Extract the drumstick leaves from the stem and wash it in salt water twice to kill the germs in them.
2) Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds, urad dhal. When they begin to splutter, add onions, red chillies and asafoetida (hing) until they turn pink.
3) Now, add the leaves and mix well. Do not add water. Close the lid and let it get cooked.
4) It would take around 5 -8 minutes in medium flame to get cooked. Keep stirring once in a minute and cook it covered.
5) Once it is cooked, add corn kernels and mix well. Add salt now and mix that along.
6) Now, add corn flour/ Rice flour and then add the grated coconutand mix well. Switch the stove off.
7) Serve the healthy Drumstick leaves stir fry – Murungai keerai poriyal with Rice and Sambhar/Kuzhambu of your choice.
1) Adding corn kernels and coconut may be optional but I would highly recommend that as it would reduce the bitterness of the leaves and it would be easy to convince kids to get to eat that.
2) Do not add water while cooking as the leaves would leave water by themselves.
3) You can break open an egg and add that also to this poriyal to enhance the taste. (Though I am not sure of cooking it how :|).
4) Cook the dish covered all the time.