Potato Masiyal / Potato Podimas
Potato Podimas is a simple side-dish prepared by mashing boiled potatoes well and roasting them with onions, chillies and ginger. This is one of the fail-proof recipes of potato which can be prepared in a jiffy and the curry would go well with Rasam Rice (Indian Hot and healthy Soup – Rasam ).. 🙂 This is also called Potato Masiyal or simple potato curry 🙂
Many friends have started asking me to add more quick recipes that can be easily managed on a hectic week-day which would taste good too (Of, course 😀). Potatoes can be cooked in ‘N’ number of ways and the advantages of potatoes are, it would be tasty, fail-proof and liked by everyone. Potatoes are my favorite since my childhood days. I would like to have potato fry or potato podimas (Potato masiyal) based on my main course.. 😀 If it is simple Rasam/Thogayal, I would go with Potato Masiyal and if it is Sambhar/Kozhambu, I like Potato fry 🙂
Goodness of Potatoes:
1) Potatoes have iron, phosphorous, calcium, magnesium and zinc which help in building and maintaining of bone structure and strength.
2) Yes, Potatoes do provide more calories but normal potatoes (unlike the processed fries and chips) do not have any cholesterol at all.
3) Collagen, the skin’s support system, relies on vitamin C that works as an antioxidant to help prevent damage caused by the sun, pollution and smoke. Vitamin C in potatoes also aids collagen’s ability to lessen wrinkles and improve our skin texture.
If you are looking for potato based recipes, we would recommend you to check out our special recipes from home-making-delight – ‘Restaurant style Potato masala for poori‘ recipe, Aloo gobi dry recipe, Kerala style potato stew gravy, hot and spicy potato gravy recipe. Do check out our signature recipe – Roasted Baby Potato Curry.
Over to Potato Masiyal/ Potato Podimas Recipe from Home Making Delight…
Potato Podimas/ Potato Masiyal Recipe
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 – 10 minutes
Would serve: 2
Potatoes (Urulai Kizhangu) – 5
Onion – 1
Green Chillies – 2
Ginger (Inji) – a small piece
Turmeric powder (Manjal Thool) – 1 tsp
Salt – as needed
Curry leaves (kariveppilai) – a few (per your taste)
Cilantro/Coriander leaves (Kothamalli Thazhai) – a few (per your taste)
Asafoetida (Hing/Perungayam) – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds (kadugu) – 1 tsp
Ajwain (Omam) – 1 tsp (Optional)
1) Pressure cook the potatoes for 4 whistles (Or how many whistles it would take to get them so soft) and let it cool down. Then, Peel off the skin and mash them well until you could see no lumps in it.
2) Now, heat the kadai and add oil to it (Gingelly oil preferably), Add mustard seeds, Ajwain and when they splutter, add ginger, curry leaves and green chillies and sauté well for a few seconds.
3) Add onions now and sauté until they turn translucent.
4) Now, add turmeric powder, salt and asafoetida and mix well and sauté in medium flame.
5) Now add the mashed potatoes and sauté well in medium flame for a minute and then switch to low flame.
6) Let the potatoes get coated with salt and other ingredients well while sautéing and turn the stove off after 3 – 4 minutes.
7) Garnish with Cilantro and serve the Potato Masiyal/ Potato Podimas hot with your favorite main course 🙂
Do check out our collection of all special veggie curries.
1) Mash the potatoes completely without any visible pieces to get the proper podimas.
2) Green chillies and ginger would add a nice flavor to Potato Podimas as we are not adding any other masalas, So, don’t miss them.
3) You might have to add more oil after adding the mashed potatoes, if you are not using a non-stick pan.
You have just unlocked the “Potato Masiyal / Potato Podimas” recipe from Home Making Delight. Feel free to take a tour of our space to learn more
If you like our space, subscribe to our blog via email to get instant updates on our new posts. You can also follow us by clicking on the “follow” button on the right side widget and like us on FB!!
We would be happy to receive your feedback on this recipe That would really mean a lot to us.
Have a great recipe or a different version of this delicacy? Have the heart to share? Come on, don’t be shy! Just send the recipe (only Vegan/Vegetarian please) to us via email with your photograph (Optional, if you don’t want that to be published here) and the final/all pictures of your delicacy We would try the same with our step-by-step photos and publish with your name and photo..
Subject: New Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
Tried this recipe? Please send us with your name and photo (Optional) and the final picture of your delicacy (Not at all optional :D). We would love to publish that here
Subject: Tried Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
ALL THE CONTENTS in this site are copyrighted to HOMEMAKINGDELIGHT. Plagiarism is a punishable offense by law.