Raw banana Curry – Plantain Curry – Vazhaikkai Podimas
Raw banana (Plantain) Curry – Vazhaikkai Podimas – Raw banana (Plantain) would be boiled in water and then grated and cooked with simple ingredients that would render the dish extremely delicious.
“Podimas” is such a great way to cook those raw bananas deliciously without having to fry them in oil. I never had a great interest on Raw bananas except for those fritters – vazhakkai bajji, until I tried this one myself. It has turned out really very well and to my surprise, I just loved it 🙂 I would suggest you to try this way of preparing Raw banana Curry rather than our usual poriyal/koottu.
Raw banana Curry – Plantain Curry – Vazhaikkai Podimas Recipe
1) Raw banana – 1
2) Water – as needed
3) Edible oil – 3 tbsp
4) Onion – 1 (Optional)
5) Grated Coconut – 2 tbsp (Optional)
6) Salt – as needed
7) Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp
8) Urad dhal – 1 tsp
9) Green chillies – 3/4
10) Ginger (an inch piece) – grated
11) Curry leaves – a few
12) Cilantro (Chopped) – a few tbsp
13) Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
14) Asafoetida (perungayam/Hing) – 1 tsp
1) Cut a raw banana in the middle and boil them in water.
2) Boil until the skin color changes dark. This might take approximately 12-15 minutes.
3) Now, peel off the skin. You can easily peel it off like you do for banana fruit.
4) Grate them using a grater. This would be so easy as the plantain pieces are already soft.
5) Heat oil in a pan and mustard seeds. When they begin to splutter, add urad dhal, curry leaves, finely chopped onions and saute well until they turn pink.
6) Now add finely chopped green chillies, grated ginger and mix well.
7) Add turmeric powder, hing and salt and mix well.
8) Add the grated raw banana and saute well for 3 – 4 minutes in low to medium flame. Take care not to burn the dish.
9) Serve the Vazhakkai Podimas with Hot Rice and sambhar (OR any gravy of your choice).
1) You can skip adding onions, if you are doing it on a pooja-day. This would taste good even without onions.
2) Add 2 tbsp of grated coconut at the last step to enhance the taste.
If you like our space, subscribe to our blog via email to get instant updates on our new posts You can also follow us by clicking on the “follow” button on the right side widget and follow us on FB!!
You have just unlocked the Vazhakkai Podimas – Raw banana curry /Plantain Curry Recipe from HomeMakingDelight. Feel free to take a tour of our space to learn more We would be happy to receive your feedback on this recipe That would really mean a lot to us.
Have a great recipe or a different version of this delicacy? Have the heart to share? Come on, don’t be shy! Just send the recipe (only Vegan/Vegetarian please) to us via email with your photograph (Optional, if you don’t want that to be published here) and the final/all pictures of your delicacy (Not at all optional :D) We would try the same with our step-by-step photos and publish with your name and photo.
Subject: New Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe name>
Tried this recipe? Please send us with your name and photo (Optional) and the final picture of your delicacy (Not at all optional 😀 ). We would love to publish that here
Subject: Tried Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe name>
ALL THE CONTENTS in this site are copyrighted to HOMEMAKINGDELIGHT. Plagiarism is a punishable offence by law.