Vermicelli Kheer – Semiya payasam
Vermicelli Kheer – an Indian sweet/dessert that is prepared by roasting vermicelli in ghee and boiled with milk and sugar/jaggery. Also called as semiya payasam in Tamil, this is an easy instant dessert/sweet that you can prepare any time. Be it any occasion – sudden guests’ visits/any auspicious day/special occasions, vermicelli kheer could easily rescue you and your time.
Vermicilli Kheer – Semiya payasam Recipe
1) Vermicelli (Semiya) – 1/2 cup
2) Water – 1/2 cup
3) Thick milk – 3/4 cup + (additional milk for your preferable kheer consistency)
4) Condensed milk – 1/4 cup (Optional)
5) Jaggery (Sugar) – 6 tbsp (Depending on your taste)
6) Salt – 1/4 tsp (Optional to enhance the sweetness)
7) Ghee – 2 tbsp + 2 tbsp
8) Cashews/any nuts, raisins – 2 tbsp (Optional)
9) Cardamom – 2 (or) Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
1) Roast the vermicelli (Semiya) in 2 tbsp of ghee until it turns golden brown.
2) Roast the nuts and raisins in ghee and keep it aside.
3) Add water to the roasted vermicelli and let it boil.
4) Now, it would be half cooked when the water is all absorbed. Now add milk and bring it to boil in low-medium flame.
5) Add sugar/jaggery and mix well.
6) Add the cardamom powder/crushed cardamom and mix well.
7) Switch the stove off and add the fried cashews and raisins along with any the added ghee. Add salt and mix well.
8) Now add the condensed milk (optional) and mix well.
9) Serve the vermicelli kheer – semiya payasam hot or cold 🙂 while serving, add milk/sugar per your preference.
1) The sugar/jaggery level given here is not exact. Adjust according to your preference.
2) Do not add more salt as it woudl spoil the taste.
3) Adding more ghee would enhance the flavor of Semiya Kheer.
4) Payasam would be tastier if you add more milk and let the vermicelli get cooked only in the milk as the milk thickens. Always keep in simmer more and stir often while you do this.
If you like our space, subscribe to our blog via email to get instant updates on our new posts You can also follow us by clicking on the “follow” button on the right side widget and follow us on FB!!
You have just unlocked the Vermicelli Kheer aka Semiya payasam Recipe from HomeMakingDelight. Feel free to take a tour of our space to learn more We would be happy to receive your feedback on this recipe That would really mean a lot to us.
Have a great recipe or a different version of this delicacy? Have the heart to share? Come on, don’t be shy! Just send the recipe (only Vegan/Vegetarian please) to us via email with your photograph (Optional, if you don’t want that to be published here) and the final/all pictures of your delicacy (Not at all optional :D) We would try the same with our step-by-step photos and publish with your name and photo.
Subject: New Recipe – HomeMakingDelight –
Tried this recipe? Please send us with your name and photo (Optional) and the final picture of your delicacy (Not at all optional 😀 ). We would love to publish that here
Subject: Tried Recipe – HomeMakingDelight –
ALL THE CONTENTS in this site are copyrighted to HOMEMAKINGDELIGHT. Plagiarism is a punishable offence by law.