Corn Masala Gravy
Corn masala gravy is a tangy, delicious accompaniment (side-dish) for Pooris and chapathis and is made by cooking corn kernels in Indian spices and pureed Tomato.
Corns would top the favorite lists of many foodies, I guess. I like corn in all the forms – American cheesy sweet corn, Indian masala corn kernels, Corn cobs roasted in fire (which reminds me of the Marina beach road-side vendors), corn masala gravy etc. I always used to add corn to most of the boring dishes which I prepare in health regard like greens; so that it would add more taste to the flavorless one.. 🙂
Over to corn masala gravy recipe from Home Making Delight..
Corn Masala Gravy Recipe
1) Corn kernels – 1 cup (Click here to see how to extract corn kernels from cob)
2) Onions -2
3) Tomatoes – 3
4) Garam masala – 1 tsp
5) Water – 1/2 cup
6) Bay leaves (Brinji ilai / Taste pattha)- 1
7) Star anise (Annasippu)- 1
8) Cinnamon stick (pattai) – a half inch piece
9) Cumin seeds (Jeeragam)- 1 tsp
10) Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
11) Red chilly powder – 3 tsp (Adjust according to your taste)
12) salt -as needed
13) Poppy seeds (kasa kasa)-1 tsp
14) Oil (or Butter) – 4 tbsp
15) Asafoetida(Hing/Perungayam) – 1 tsp
16) Fennel powder (Sombu) – 1 tsp(Optional)
17) Coriander powder (Dhania) – 1 tsp (Optional)
18) Curry leaves – a few
19) Kasuri methi – a few
20) Cilantro (Kothamall thazhai) – a few
21) Butter/Cheese- 2 tbsp (Optional)
22) Cream to garnish (Optional)
- Grind the onions and tomatoes in mixie and make a fine paste.
- Heat oil / butter in a pan and bay leaves, cinnamon stick, star anise, poppy seeds and cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds splutter, add the ground paste and saute until the oil separates.
- Now, add salt and other spices like hing, fennel powder, coriander powder, garam masala, turmeric powder and red chilly powder and mix well.
- Once the raw smell is gone, add water and bring it to boil.
- Add the corn kernels and mix well and cook the gravy closed for 5 -7 minutes with stirring once in a minute.
- Add in butter/cheese to make it creamy and add kasuri methi and cilantro.
8. Garnish with milk cream and serve the spicy corn masala gravy hot with your pooris / rotis / chapathis.
- You can fine chop onions and add them instead of grinding with tomatoes. They just have to be sauteed well.
- You can also add chopped capsicum to enhance the taste.
You have just unlocked the “Spicy corn masala gravy” recipe from Home Making Delight. Feel free to take a tour of our space to learn more.
If you like our space, subscribe to our blog via email to get instant updates on our new posts. You can also follow us by clicking on the “follow” button on the right side widget and like us on FB!!
We would be happy to receive your feedback on this recipe. That would really mean a lot to us.
Have a great recipe or a different version of this delicacy? Have the heart to share? Come on, don’t be shy! Just send the recipe (only Vegan/Vegetarian please) to us via email with your photograph (Optional, if you don’t want that to be published here) and the final/all pictures of your delicacy. We would try the same with our step-by-step photos and publish with your name and photo..
Subject: New Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
Tried this recipe? Please send us with your name and photo (Optional) and the final picture of your delicacy (Not at all optional :D). We would love to publish that here.
Subject: Tried Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
ALL THE CONTENTS in this site are copyrighted to HOMEMAKINGDELIGHT. Plagiarism is a punishable offense by law.