Lemon Rice – Elumichai Saadham Recipe
Lemon Rice – A simple “Variety Rice” famous in Tamil Nadu (of South India), which is made out of Lemon juice and other Indian Spices. Lemon Rice would take hardly five minutes to prepare and would promptly give attendance in many people’s lunch boxes on weekdays. People call it a boring dish and yes, there is a little truth in it. 😐 But, lemon rice when prepared properly and accompanied by proper sides can make a great hearty lunch. 🙂 🙂 My favorite sides with lemon rice are Potato Fry Arbi (Cheppan Kizhangu) Fry and Lady’s finger masala. 🙂 🙂 You can try this one with your favorite side dish and let me know, buddy!
HomeMakingDelight presents you the simple recipe of Lemon Rice in which tanginess of lemon would burst out with other Indian spices and hot red chillies.
Lemon Rice – Elumichai Saadham Recipe
Less than a minute to squeeze in the lemon (Cooking of plain rice excluded)
Would serve: 3 persons
1) Lemon (Elumichai) – 2
2) Cooked Rice – 3.5 cups
3) Turmeric powder – 1.5 tsp
4) Gingelly oil (Nallennai) – 3 tbsp
5) Mustard seeds (kadugu) – 2 tsps
6) Channa dhal (Kadalai Paruppu) – 2 tsps
7) Urad dhal (Ulundhu) -2 tsp
8) Red chillies – 5 – 7 (as per your taste)
9) Roasted peanuts/ground nuts – 8 – 10
10) Cashew nuts – 8 – 10
11) Asafoetida (Hing/Perungayam) – 1 tsp
12) Curry leaves (Karivepilai) – a few (as per your taste)
13) Cilantro (Kothamalli Thazhai/Coriander leaves) – a few to garnish (as per your taste)
1) Cook the rice and let it cool down in a plate or wide-mouthed pan.
2) Heat the Gingelly oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds and when it splutters, add channa dhal, Urad dhal, slit red chilles, peanuts, cashew nuts and curry leaves and saute well.
3) Now, add Hing (Asafoetida) and Turmeric powder (haldi) and mix well for 40 seconds and turn the stove off.
4) Apply another tbsp of Gingelly oil to the rice and add the sauteed spices to the Rice.
5) Now squeeze in the lemon and add the salt needed.
6) Mix well using a spoon or spatula without disturbing the texture of the rice.
7) Serve the Spicy & Tangy Lemon Rice garnished with Cilantro with your favorite sides 🙂 😀
1) To get the non-sticky, separate and fluffy rice for lemon rice, add a tsp of oil to the water while cooking rice. Also, after cooking the rice, you can just spread them out in a wide pan and add a few tsps of gingelly oil to it and let it cool. Then, fluff it gently using a fork or spoon.
2) The peanuts and cashews can be roasted in ghee separately and added to the rice.
3) If you don’t use hands to mix the rice, then the lemon rice would stay good for a few more hours. If you are planning a long travel, then mix well using a dry and clean spoon so that it would last longer.
You have just unlocked the “Lemon Rice” recipe (Elumichai Saadham Recipe) from Home Making Delight. Feel free to take a tour of our space to learn more
If you like our space, subscribe to our blog via email to get instant updates on our new posts. You can also follow us by clicking on the “follow” button on the right side widget and like us on FB!!
We would be happy to receive your feedback on this recipe. That would really mean a lot to us.
Have a great recipe or a different version of this delicacy? Have the heart to share? Come on, don’t be shy! Just send the recipe (only Vegan/Vegetarian please) to us via email with your photograph (Optional, if you don’t want that to be published here) and the final/all pictures of your delicacy. We would try the same with our step-by-step photos and publish with your name and photo..
Subject: New Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
Tried this recipe? Please send us with your name and photo (Optional) and the final picture of your delicacy (Not at all optional :D). We would love to publish that here.
Subject: Tried Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
ALL THE CONTENTS in this site are copyrighted to HOMEMAKINGDELIGHT. Plagiarism is a punishable offense by law.