Small onion (Shallots) Chutney – Chinna vengaya Chutney to Cool down your body
Shallots Chutney ( Chinna Vengaya Chutney) is a simple chutney made by sauteing small onions (Shallots / Chinna vengayam) and tomatoes and grinding them together and is a great accompaniment for idly and dosa. One another good thing is this does not call for coconut. Recently, few of our friends were asking us to post a few coconut-less chutneys and here we are with out “no-coconut” small onion chutney !! 😐
This summer is seriously so long in India. It’s already august and the heat has not reduced a bit, despite a few heavy rains last month. Few of you must be trying very hard to cope up with the temperature outside (as well as in your body) .To cool down your body, there are quite a few food/drinks suggested by Tamil medicines. The first thing they would say is to take oil-bath twice a week. When comes to foods/drinks, Coconut water (Ilaneer), Small onions (Shallots) with curd rice, Badam Pisin Drink (Almond gum drink), Butter-milk, Fenugreek (Vendhayam/ Methi seeds), Curry leaves kuzhambu (Karivepilai Kuzhambu – Click to see recipe) Musk melon (Mulam Pazham – Click to see muskmelon / cantaloupe Juice) etc. Here comes, one such recipe using small onions – Shallots Chutney (Chinna vengaya chutney), which is very easy to prepare and tastes really great. 🙂
Over to Shallots Chutney from Home Making Delight..
Shallots Chutney Recipe
- Small Onions (Shallots)- 17 – 20 numbers
- Tomato – 1
- Red chillies – 2 or 3 (Adjust according to your taste)
- Salt – as needed
- Edible oil – 1 tbsp
- Gingelly oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds (Kadugu) – 1 tsp
- Urad dhal (Ulundhu)- 1 tsp (Optional)
- Curry leaves – a few (Optional)
- Peel-off small onions. If they are big, cut them into two or three.
- Heat oil in a pan and when it is hot enough, add small onions and saute until they are pink.
- Add the chopped tomato and saute until it turn mushy.
- Add red chilles and mix well. Saute for 30 seconds and switch the stove off and let the mixture cool.
- Once cooled down, grind to a fine paste without adding any water along with the necessary salt.
- Heat gingelly oil and add mustard seeds, Urad dhal and curry leaves. Add this to our hot, small onion chutney. Serve your onion chutney (Vengaya Chutney) with your idly/dosa/Vendhaya Dosas. 🙂
- Don’t add water while grinding.
- Add gingelly oil/ ghee and mix well with chutney while eating with idly or dosas.
You have just unlocked the “Shallots chutney – Chinna Vengaya Chutney” recipe from Home Making Delight. Feel free to take a tour of our space to learn more.
If you like our space, subscribe to our blog via email to get instant updates on our new posts. You can also follow us by clicking on the “follow” button on the right side widget and like us on FB!!
We would be happy to receive your feedback on this recipe. That would really mean a lot to us.
Have a great recipe or a different version of this delicacy? Have the heart to share? Come on, don’t be shy! Just send the recipe (only Vegan/Vegetarian please) to us via email with your photograph (Optional, if you don’t want that to be published here) and the final/all pictures of your delicacy. We would try the same with our step-by-step photos and publish with your name and photo..
Subject: New Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
Tried this recipe? Please send us with your name and photo (Optional) and the final picture of your delicacy (Not at all optional :D). We would love to publish that here.
Subject: Tried Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
ALL THE CONTENTS in this site are copyrighted to HOMEMAKINGDELIGHT. Plagiarism is a punishable offense by law.