Thakkali Thokku – Tomato Thokku
Thakkali Thokku – Tomato pickle is a simple pickle-like paste made by cooking pureed tomatoes in gingelly oil and other spice powders and is a great accompaniment for chapathi, roti, rice, dosa and even curd rice.
I used to prepare Thakkali thokku in two ways – by using chopped tomatoes (Click here to see the recipe) and by using ground tomatoes. I prefer the latter one, as it is tasty as well as easy to prepare. Thanks to my MIL for this easy version of Thakkali Thokku recipe 🙂 Over to Tomato Thokku Recipe (using ground tomato) from Home-Making-Delight..
Thakkali Thokku – Tomato Thokku Recipe
1) Tomatoes – 6
2) Gingelly oil – 1/4 cup
3) Sambhar powder – 1.5 tbsp (Adjust per your taste)
4) Salt – as needed
5) Curry leaves – a few
6) Turmeric powder – a few
7) Ajwain (Omam) – 1 tsp (Optional)
8) Fenugreek seeds (Vendhayam) – 1 tsp (or fenugreek powder – 1.5 tsp)
9) Cumin seeds (Jeera / Jeeragam) – 1 tsp
10) Mustard seeds (kadugu) – 2 tsp
11) Asafoetida (Hing/ Perungayam) – 2 tsp
12) Cilantro (Chopped) – 4 tbsp
- Grind the tomatoes into fine paste without adding any water.
- Heat the gingelly oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, ajwain and cumin seeds.
- Once they splutter, add curry leaves.
- Now, add the sambhar powder in the oil itself and mix well.
- Add the pureed tomato and mix well in medium flame.
- Keep the stove in simmer to medium flame and cook the tomato pickle by keeping the lid closed. Stir it once in a minute to prevent it from getting burnt and sticking to the bottom of the pan. The oil would get separated and the gravy would begin to thicken in 10 minutes (app).
- Now, add turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt and mix well. Keep it in low flame for 5 minutes stirring every now and then.
- Now, our thakkali thokku is thickened and ready.
- Add more gingelly oil now to preserve for many days. It would enhance the taste also. Garnish with cilantro and serve your tomato pickle with chapathi or rice or anything that you favour.. 🙂
You have just unlocked the “Thakkali Thokku – Tomato Pickle” recipe from Home Making Delight. Feel free to take a tour of our space to learn more
If you like our space, please like HomeMakingDelight on FB (See the Right widget for LIKE Button) to get instant updates on our new posts.
We would be happy to receive your feedback on this recipe. That would really mean a lot to us.
Have a great recipe or a different version of this delicacy? Have the heart to share? Come on, don’t be shy! Just send the recipe (only Vegan/Vegetarian please) to us via email with your photograph (Optional, if you don’t want that to be published here) and the final/all pictures of your delicacy. We would try the same with our step-by-step photos and publish with your name and photo..
Subject: New Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
Tried this recipe? Please send us with your name and photo (Optional) and the final picture of your delicacy (Not at all optional :D). We would love to publish that here.
Subject: Tried Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
ALL THE CONTENTS in this site are copyrighted to HOMEMAKINGDELIGHT. Plagiarism is a punishable offense by law.