Pattani Sundal – Peas Sabzi – Cooking Pulses
Pattani sundal also called as Patani masala, Green peas sundal, peas stir-fry, Peas sabzi, Matar Subzi is prepared by cooking Green Peas (Fresh/Dried/Frozen) in a gravy of onion, tomato and coconut.
Sundal is a healthy, fat-free, protein-rich snack prepared by using any of the pulses (Pulses include Channa dhal, Split Chick peas, Peas, corn, horse gram, green gram & the likes) by boiling/steam-cooking them along with a few spices & Onions/Coconut; Sundal is a mandatory dish for Navaratri (Durga Pooja/ Dussera), Vinayagar Chathurthi and Gokulashtami.
Talking about “Navarathri” which has recently started for this year, nine forms of Devi are worshiped. We would share what we know about those 9 days of Navaratri along with our special sundal recipe for the next few days.
Shailaputri is the first among Navadurgas commonly knows as Parvati, the daughter of Hemavana (King of Himalayas). The embodiment of the power of Brahma, Vishnu & Shiva. She rides a bull and carries a trident and a lotus in her two hands. Day one of Navratri is dedicated to worship Ma Shailaputri.
Over to the sundal recipe for the first day of Navarathri – Pattani Masala Sundal from Home-Making-Delight..
Pattani Masala Sundal Recipe – Matar Stir-Fry/Sabji – Cooking Pulses
1) Peas (Pattani) – Half a cup
2) Onion – 1
3) Tomato – 1/2
4) Salt – as needed
5) Red chillies – 4
6) Coconut – 1/8 of a medium sized coconut ( or an-inch piece – 6 nos)
7) Coconut oil – 2tbsp (Optional. If not available, use veg oil)
8) Edible veg oil – 2 tbsp + 1 tsp
9) Mustard seeds (kadugu) – 1 tsp
10) Curry leaves – a few (Optional)
11) Cilantro – a few (Optional)
12) Urad dhal (Ulundhu)- 1 tsp
For Extra-Masala Flavored Sundal (Optional):
1) Bay leaf (Taste Patha/ Brinji Ilai)- 1
2) Cinnamon stick (Pattai)-an inch piece – 1
3) Star anise (Annasippoo)- 1
4) Garam masala – 1 tsp
- If you are using Dried peas, soak it overnight and pressure cook them for 3-5 whistles depending upon your peas’ nature. While pressure cooking, ensure that the peas are completely covered in water. Ignore the residual water used for cooking peas.
- If you are using Frozen peas, thaw and use them. For fresh peas, just take it off the outer cover and use.
- Add the necessary salt and gently mix it without mashing the peas. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grind the Onion, tomato, red chilles and Coconut together without adding any water.
- Heat 2 tbsp of veg oil and 2 tbsp of coconut oil in a pan and add mustard seeds,Urad dhal & curry leaves. Add the ground mixture to it and saute well in medium until the raw smell is gone.
- Note: For extra-masala flavored patani sundal, add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, star anise to the oil (Ignore mustard and Urad dhal) and saute well in this step.
- Now, add the cooked peas and saute well in medium flame with frequent stirring.
- Note: For extra-masala flavored Patani Sundal, add garam masala now and mix well.
- Switch the stove off and garnish with Cilantro and serve your super spicy, pattani Sundal hot along with tea/coffee to your Navratri guests.
- Ensure that the green peas don’t turn mushy when you pressure-cook it, Mine took 3 whistles to stay in shape after soaking them for 8 hours.
- Don’t buy the ones that are available in markets with artificial green color coated all over them and packed in plastic covers. That is harmful for health.
You have just unlocked the “Pattani Sundal – Green peas sabzi – Navaratri Sundal” recipe from Home Making Delight. Feel free to take a tour of our space to learn more..
If you like our space, please like HomeMakingDelight Page on FB (See the Right widget for LIKE Button) to get instant updates on our new posts.
We would be happy to receive your feedback on this recipe That would really mean a lot to us.
Have a great recipe or a different version of this delicacy? Have the heart to share? Come on, don’t be shy! Just send the recipe (only Vegan/Vegetarian please) to us via email with your photograph (Optional, if you don’t want that to be published here) and the final/all pictures of your delicacy We would try the same with our step-by-step photos and publish with your name and photo..
Subject: New Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
Tried this recipe? Please send us with your name and photo (Optional) and the final picture of your delicacy (Not at all optional :D). We would love to publish that here
Subject: Tried Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
ALL THE CONTENTS in this site are copyrighted to HOMEMAKINGDELIGHT. Plagiarism is a punishable offense by law.