Rajma Sundal – Red kidney bean salad
Rajma salad / Sundal also called as Red Kidney bean salad or Razma salad is prepared by cooking Rajmah along with a few mild spices and seasoned with coconut. Rajma is such a healthy and famous pulse used widely in North India and is well known for its high fibre and iron content.
As Rajma might cause gastric problems, add chopped garlic whenever it is possible for you, while cooking Rajma beans. I have not added garlic in this recipe as we tend to avoid garlic on Pooja days. But, it is advised to use garlic whenever you cook Dhal Makhani using Rajma, Rajma gravies, Rajma Chawal (Rajma Rice), Rajma salad etc. I cooked this Rajma Sundal for Durga Pooja (Navarathri) and this was so tasty. If you have made it sure that Rajma has got cooked perfectly while pressure cooking, then this Rajma Salad is a definite hit in your home 🙂
Navaratri Day – 5:
The fifth aspect of the Mother Durga is known as “Skanda Mata” – the mother of Skanda or Lord Kartikeya. She is accompanied by the Lord Skanda in his his infant form. She was chosen by gods as their commander in the war against the demons. The left arm of matha is in pose to grant boons with grace.
Over to Rajma Sundal – Red kidney beans salad – A navratri special recipe from Home-Making-Delight..
Rajma Sundal – Red kidney bean salad Recipe
Rajma (Red kidney beans) – 3/4 of a cup
Edible cooking oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Onion – 1
Red chilles – 4
Asafoetida (Hing/Perungayam) – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – Few
Water – as needed
Grated coconut – 2 tbsps
Salt – as needed
Cilantro (Coriander leaves/Kothamalli thazhai) – a few for garnishing
- Soak the red kidney bean for 8 hours or overnight & boil it in a pan until it’s cooked. Always soak the pulses like Channa (Whole chick pea / Kondai Kadalai /Mookadalai), Rajma (Kidney beans/ Razma) in hot water so that it would be soft and chewy after cooking.
- Drain the water completely from the soaked Rajma and add water again so that the Rajma is well immersed. Add the necessary salt to it. Pressure cook the soaked Rajma for 5 – 7 whistles depending upon your Rajmah brand.
- Heat oil in a pan / wok and add mustard seeds, Urad dhal, Curry leaves. Once the seeds splutter, add finely chopped onion and saute well until the onion turns pink.
- Now, add the cooked Rajma beans and hing and saute well for 4 minutes in low to medium flame. Keep mixing the Sundal with the spices.
- Add the grated coconut and mix well. Switch the stove off.
- Serve your hot and tasty Rajma salad – Rajmah sundal – kidney bean salad garnished with cilantro. 🙂
Ensure that your Rajma is well cooked before tempering it. The number of whistles might differ based on the quality and brand of the Rajmah being used. I let if for 6 whistles in pressure cooker to get soft Rajma.
You have just unlocked the “Rajma Sundal – Rajmah salad – Kidney bean salad – Navaratri Sundal” recipe from Home Making Delight. Feel free to take a tour of our space to learn more..
If you like our space, please like HomeMakingDelight Page on FB (See the Right widget for LIKE Button) to get instant updates on our new posts.
We would be happy to receive your feedback on this recipe That would really mean a lot to us.
Have a great recipe or a different version of this delicacy? Have the heart to share? Come on, don’t be shy! Just send the recipe (only Vegan/Vegetarian please) to us via email with your photograph (Optional, if you don’t want that to be published here) and the final/all pictures of your delicacy We would try the same with our step-by-step photos and publish with your name and photo..
Subject: New Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
Tried this recipe? Please send us with your name and photo (Optional) and the final picture of your delicacy (Not at all optional :D). We would love to publish that here
Subject: Tried Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
ALL THE CONTENTS in this site are copyrighted to HOMEMAKINGDELIGHT. Plagiarism is a punishable offense by law.