Indian Clarified Butter – Homemade Ghee
Homemade Ghee – Indian Clarified Butter | Nei is prepared by melting the flavored butter and separating the translucent liquid from milk solid residues.
As Diwali is just around the corner making homemade ghee would be of great help in preparing sweets and snacks (Yeah, We get your puzzled look. A delayed post 😀 ). There are so many advantages in preparing ghee at home as they are much cheaper, tastes damn better and we can get our desired quality & quantity.
Goodness of Ghee:
- Ghee is good for nerves and brain.
- It helps to control eye pressure and stimulate the secretion of stomach acids to help with digestion.
- Ghee is rich in antioxidants and good for treatment of burns.
- According to Ayurveda Ghee promotes learning and increase memory retention.
Makes – 1 & 1/2 cup of ghee
Unsalted Butter (Vennai) – 2 cups or 1 pound (453g)
Fenugreek (Methi / Vendhayam) – 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves (Karivepilai) – 4 or 5
Drumstick leaves (Murungai Keerai Ilai) – 20 (Optional)
If you are preparing ghee to be used in sweets, don’t add curry leaves and drumstick leaves. For daily use, it is recommended for its nice aroma and health benefits.
- Add butter to a heavy bottomed pan or vessel along with fenugreek & curry leaves and heat it on a low flame.2. When the butter starts boiling, it will begin to foam and might splutter at first. Keep boiling the butter uncovered.3. You can notice 3 layers (Top – Foamy layer, Middle – Liquid, Bottom – Milk solids) once the butter has started to melt. Slowly, the liquid layer would become more & more clear.4. Stir continuously and when the liquid becomes golden transparent color & a nice aroma arises, start removing the top foamy layer with spoon.5. Remove from heat & filter the milk solids (along with fenugreek & curry leaves) from clarified butter using a cheesecloth or a coffee filter or simply separate it using a ladle.6. Store your homemade ghee in a clean, dried container at room temperature for 6 months or in a refrigerator for an year.Tit-Bits:
Make sure to cook the butter at low flame, as it tends to get browned soon once melted.
Cut the butter into small pieces to expedite the process.
Use the filtered residues in gravies inside of butter.
You have just unlocked the “Indian Clarified Butter – Homemade Ghee – Desi Ghee” recipe from Home Making Delight. Feel free to take a tour of our space to learn more
If you like our space, please like Home-Making-Delight Page on FB (See the Right widget for LIKE Button) to get instant updates on our new posts.
We would be happy to receive your feedback on this post. That would really mean a lot to us.
Have a great recipe or a different version of this delicacy? Have the heart to share? Come on, don’t be shy! Just send the recipe (only Vegan/Vegetarian please) to us via email with your photograph (Optional, if you don’t want that to be published here) and the final/all pictures of your delicacy We would try the same with our step-by-step photos and publish with your name and photo..
Subject: New Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
Tried this recipe? Please send us with your name and photo (Optional) and the final picture of your delicacy (Not at all optional :D). We would love to publish that here
Subject: Tried Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
ALL THE CONTENTS in this site are copyrighted to HOMEMAKINGDELIGHT. Plagiarism is a punishable offense by law.