Raw banana sabzi – Roasted Vazhaikkai Poriyal – Plantain Curry
Raw banana sabzi also called as Vazhaikkai Poriyal (Roasted Plantain Poriyal) is an easy side dish that you can prepare by boiling raw bananas and roasting them with onions and a few chosen Indian masala spices. This vazhaikkai curry is very tasty, fail-proof and takes less time to prepare.
Health Benefits – Goodness of Plantain || Raw Banana || Vazhaikkai || Kaccha Kela:
- Plantains are rich in dietary fiber.
- Raw bananas are rich in Vitamin A, C and B complex.
- Plantains prevent kidney and bladder problems.
- They are good source of energy and are rich in iron, manganese and phosphorus.
If you are a regular visitor of this site, you would have seen me bragging about my mom’s cooking and how I relished her delicacies. If there is something I don’t like the way my mom prepared, then I have to say it is “Raw Banana Poriyal“. Mind you, it’s just Poriyal, I totally drool for her Vazhaikkai Gana varuval (Thick, flavored chips kind of savory, the recipe of which would be soon uploaded here :D) and Raw banana chips. So, I figured out my own ways of cooking Raw bananas – like preparing Raw banana Podimas, Raw banana Sabji etc instead of the boring Vazhakka Poriyal with grated coconut.
Normally, More Kuzhambu and Vazhakka Poriyal are cooked for Ammavashya (Ammavasai/No moon day) back in my place. As I think both of them are too plain, the combination sucked very much. So, nowadays I am cooking raw banana (plantain) this way and it is damn delicious and easy to prepare too. Hope, you guys would like it too. Over to Raw banana sabji – Roasted Vazhaikkai Poriyal Recipe from Home Making Delight..
Raw banana subji Recipe – Vazhaikkai Curry Poriyal Recipe
Raw banana (English) || Plantain || Kaccha Kela (Hindi) || Balle Kaya (Kannada) || Aratikaya (Telugu) || Vazhaikkai (Tamil) || Vazhakka (Malayalam)
Raw banana (Plantain/Vazhakkai) – 2
Onion – 1
Curd – 1 tbsp (Optional, can be substituted with a tbsp of oil)
Edible oil – 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds (kadugu) – 1 tsp
Urad dhal (Ulundhu) – 1 tsp
Ajwain (Omam) – 1 tsp (Optional)
Curry leaves (Karivepilai) – a few (Optional)
Sambhar powder – 1 tbsp (or you can use coriander powder, red chilly powder, Cumin powder 1 tsp each)
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Salt – as needed
Fennel powder (Sombu) – 1 tsp (Optional)
Asafoetida (Hing/Perungayam) – 1 tsp
- Cut raw bananas (Plantain) in halves. Heat water in a pan and add the cut raw bananas to it. Let it boil for 10 -15 minutes until they turn soft. Now, it would be easy for you to peel off the skin.
- Slice the raw bananas into thin, round shaped pieces.
- Add sambhar powder, salt, fennel powder, turmeric powder, curd (or a tsp of oil), hing and mix well. Let it sit for 10 -15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan/kadai and mustard seeds and ajwain. When they begin to splutter, add curry leaves and Urad dhal and saute. Add onions and saute well.
- Now, keep the stove in simmer and add the marinated raw banana mixture.
- Stir and fry the cooked raw-bananas (What an Oxymoron :D) by gently flipping on both sides. Don’t mash the Vazhaikkai pieces. Be gentle with it. It would take approximately 5 – 10 minutes. I normally like a thin, mild layer of the curry roasted and stuck to the pan. If you want a roasted raw banana sabji, then gently toss the vazhaikkai once in two minutes just after a thin layer is formed. 🙂
- Enjoy your Plantain Curry – Raw banana subzi – Vazhaikkai Poriyal- Kaccha Kela sabji hot with your steaming rice. 🙂
- If you want, you can add more oil and roast the marinated plantain pieces. That would be tastier.
- If you have over cooked the vaalaikai, then it would tend to get mashed up. So, be careful while flipping them to get roasted on both sides.
- If you are planning to cook Raw bananas, I would strongly recommend you to try Raw Banana Podimas curry aka Vazhaikkai Podimas which is my favorite. 🙂 But, you don’t have time to grate, then go for this yummy vazhaikkai roast, instead. 🙂
- Adding ginger and garlic while cooking vazhaikkai poriyal would prevent gastric problems.
You have just unlocked the “Plantain Curry – Raw banana subzi – Vazhaikkai Poriyal – Kaccha Kela sabji” recipe from Home Making Delight. Feel free to take a tour of our space to learn more
If you like our space, please like HomeMakingDelight on FB (See the Right widget for LIKE Button) to get instant updates on our new posts.
We would be happy to receive your feedback on this recipe. That would really mean a lot to us.
Have a great recipe or a different version of this delicacy? Have the heart to share? Come on, don’t be shy! Just send the recipe (only Vegan/Vegetarian please) to us via email with your photograph (Optional, if you don’t want that to be published here) and the final/all pictures of your delicacy. We would try the same with our step-by-step photos and publish with your name and photo..
Subject: New Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
Tried this recipe? Please send us with your name and photo (Optional) and the final picture of your delicacy (Not at all optional :D). We would love to publish that here
Subject: Tried Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
ALL THE CONTENTS in this site are copyrighted to HOMEMAKINGDELIGHT. Plagiarism is a punishable offense by law.