Spicy Paneer Biryani – Indian Cottage Cheese Briyani / Tofu Biriyani
Paneer Biryani – Paneer Biriyani is a spicy rice variety made out of Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese) or Soy Paneer (Tofu) and peas cooked in Indian Masala spices using Basmati Rice (Rice with long grains and an unique aroma and flavor). It is very simple to prepare this Paneer Briyani and is very tasty. This is an one-pot meal which would save your time during your busy mornings.
Normally, we use the common Paneer (Cottage Cheese) for preparing this Paneer Biryani. But this time, I prepared this using Soy Paneer which was equally delicious. If you are vegan / lactose intolerant, you can use Soy Paneer to prepare this Briyani. Or, you could use our normal Paneer to prepare it. I would assure that the taste would be almost same. 🙂 You can add your favorite veggies like potato, cauliflower, beans, carrot, beet root to make your Veg Panneer Briyani more special. Over to Paneer Briyani – Tofu Biryani – Indian Cottage Cheese Biriyani from Home-Making-Delight with step by step pictures..
Spicy Paneer Briyani Recipe – Indian Cottage Cheese Biryani / Tofu Biriyani
- Preparation Time : 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Serves : 2
- Edible Oil – 5 tbsp (Can be replaced with ghee)
- Ghee – 3 tbsp (Oil also can be used)
- Paneer – 200gms (Tofu or Cottage Cheese)
- Basmati Rice – 1.5 cups
- Water – 3 cups
- Onions – 2
- Tomatoes – 1
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 4 tsp
- Peas (Pattani)- half cup
- Jeera (Jeeragam)- 1 tsp
- Bay leaves (Brinji Ilai)- 2
- Cinnamon stick (an inch piece) (Pattai)- 2
- Ginger – an inch piece – 1
- Garlic – 10
- Star anise (Annasippu)- 1
- Cardamom (Yelakkai)- 2
- Clove (Krambu)- 1
- Cashew/Almond (Badam) – 5 (Optional)
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Curd/plain Yogurt – 1 tbsp (Optional)
- Asafoetida (Hing/Perungayam) – a pinch
- Soak the Basmati rice in water for 15 minutes. Dice your Paneer and keep it aside. Click here to know how to prepare your own paneer at home easily.
- Cut half an onion lengthwise. Add 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and fry the onions until they turn golden brown. Keep this aside. This step is optional.
- Grind ginger, garlic, cinnamon stick and star anise together and make a paste.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan. Once it is hot enough, add bay leaves, cloves, Jeera and let is splutter.
- Now add onions (sliced horizontally) and saute for a minute. Add chopped tomatoes and saute for a minute. Now, add the ground spice mixture and saute until the raw smell goes away.
- Add peas, salt, turmeric powder, Asafoetida and red chilly powder and mix well. Saute for 2 minutes in medium flame.
- Add your diced paneer, garam masala & curd and mix well.
- Cook until the paneer gets cooked in the spice mixture, for 2 minutes.
- Now, transfer the contents to the Pressure pan or Electric Rice cooker and add required water and mix well. Taste the added water for salt and chilly powder. Both should be bit high that it is required in the rice.
- Note: If you are using pressure cooker, 2 whistles would be sufficient for cooking Briyani. Rice cooker would automatically calculate the time for cooking. If you are planning to use open pan itself for making this Paneer Briyani, check for the specific instructions to cook your Basmati rice brand and follow it.
- Once the rice is cooked, add the fried onions as topping. Fry Badam (Almonds) and cashews in ghee and garnish your tasty Biriyani. Cilantro also can be used. Enjoy your Paneer Briyani hot with Raita or Kuruma of your choice.
Do check out our other special Paneer Recipes 🙂
- You can totally replace oil with ghee, if you are making it for a special occasion. That would give your Briyani a rich taste.
- If you are vegan, you can replace ghee in this recipe with oil.
- Adding generous ghee and oil (May be, a ladle more) would increase the flavor of Briyani very much. I have given here the normal amount that we use in homes for everyday cooking.
- Soaking the Basmathi Rice is also optional,but recommended. Refer to the Basamati Rice brand that you use for more instructions on how to cook it. Amount of water needed would also vary based on the rice brand. Please do refer the Rice packet.
- This Briyani can be cooked in a single pan or pressure cooker or electric rice cooker. I have used a separate kadai for taking photos. You can easily make it in a single pot. 🙂
- I made Amla Raita as side dish for this Paneer Biryani. You can have plain Curd,/Yogurt, Onion Raita or White Khorma with this Biriyani.
You have just unlocked the “Spicy Indian Cottage Cheese Briyani – Paneer Biryani – Tofu Biriyani” recipe from Home Making Delight. Feel free to take a tour of our space to learn more
If you like our space, please like Home-Making-Delight Page on FB (See the Right widget for LIKE Button) to get instant updates on our new posts.
We would be happy to receive your feedback on this recipe. That would really mean a lot to us.
Have a great recipe or a different version of this delicacy? Have the heart to share? Come on, don’t be shy! Just send the recipe (only Vegan/Vegetarian please) to us via email with your photograph (Optional, if you don’t want that to be published here) and the final/all pictures of your delicacy. We would try the same with our step-by-step photos and publish with your name and photo..
Subject: New Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
Tried this recipe? Please send us with your name and photo (Optional) and the final picture of your delicacy (Not at all optional :D). We would love to publish that here.
Subject: Tried Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
ALL THE CONTENTS in this site are copyrighted to HOMEMAKINGDELIGHT. Plagiarism is a punishable offense by law.