Ragi Adai / Finger-Millet Roti
Ragi Adai – Finger Millet Roti is a healthy snack/breakfast in which the dough prepared using ragi flour & spiced onion is flattened and then get cooked on tawa. There are variety of dishes that we can prepare with Finger-Millets starting from tiffin to sweets & snacks.
Ragi also called as Kezhvaragu or Keppai was consumed as a staple food in southern India during ancient times. Nowadays, it is regaining its popularity because of its various health benefits. Ragi belongs to Millet varieties called as ‘Sirudhaniyam’ or ‘ Siru Dhaaniyam’ in Tamil. All those millet varieties are very good for health and those can substitute white Rice.
Though, I have taken Ragi as Porridge/”Kanji” or Ragi Semiya Upma, I never volunteered to try any other traditional recipes. I had been planning to use more ‘Siruthaniyam‘ types in my diet recently and I just bought the flour thinking that I would figure out the recipes later. Recently, I noticed that it was untouched in my pantry for a month already. To give a kick start, I just prepared the usual Adai with Ragi flour instead of Bajra. Ragi roti is dense with chewy texture. As Ragi has a distinct taste which may not be liked by everyone, I added coconut (which is totally optional) to increase the flavor.
Health Benefits of Ragi:
1. Ragi is one of the natural sources of protein. It has a special amino acid, Tryptophan which helps in curbing appetite.
2. It is rich in calcium and vitamin D that are vital for increasing bone strength.
3. Ragi is also a great source of Iron, Potassium & Vitamin B complex.
4. It is also rich in fibre and it would reduce appetite. So, people who watch their weight can take Ragi for breakfast so that they would gain the strength for the day and their appetite would also be under control.
5. Diabetic people can consume Ragi instead of rice in their diet.
If you are in US and looking for Ragi flour, you can buy Ragi Flour from Amazon by clicking the link Finger Millet Flour (Ragi Flour) 2lb
Ragi Adai Recipe – Finger Millet Roti – Siru Dhaaniya Adai
Over to Ragi Adai – Finger Millet Roti Recipe from Home-Making Delight with step-by-step photos..
Moothari Roti | Ragulu Roti | Bhav Roti | Nachni Roti | Mandia Roti | Madua Roti | Finger Millet Adai Dosa| Kezhvaragu Adai | Ragi Adai | Sirudhania Adai
Serves – 3 Makes – 6
Ragi Flour (Ragi maav – 1 & 1/2 cup
Onion – 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
Ginger – 1/4 tsp (finely chopped)
Green Chilly – 2
Coconut – 1/4 cup
Jeera or Cumin seeds (Seeragam) – 1 tsp
Cilantro or Coriander leaves (Kothamalli Thazhai) – 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
Oil – 3 tblsp & few tblsps for cooking roti
Water – 3/4 cup
Salt – 3/4 – 1 tsp
- Heat a table spoon of oil in a pan. Add jeera, onions, green chillies and saute them for a minute or so.2. Let it cool. To this add ragi flour, coconut, salt & cilantro. Mix well.3. Slowly, start adding water and mix the flour together to form a dough. Add oil to make it smooth. Divide the dough into six equal portioned balls.4. Grease the wax paper with oil and press each dough ball with fingers to make it flat as shown in the pic.5. Carefully, transfer the roti to hot tawa and spread a tsp of oil around it. Let it get cooked.6. Flip the adai to get the other side cooked. Remove it from the flame once the ends are crispier.7. Serve your healthy Ragi Adai hot with butter, pickle & raita. Personally, I prefer the creamy Peanut Chutney with coconut as the best match for this Ragi Adai dosa. Try out the peanut chutney without coconut also.
- Make sure to serve the ragi adai hot or warm as the adai would become hard over time.
- Add shredded carrots & sweet corn kernels in the dough to make it tastier.
- Keep the adai / adai dough covered with damp cloth to prevent it from drying.
- You can also use milk instead of just water to knead the flour into dough. But, if you are consuming Ragi / Finger Millet for weight loss, please use water to knead the dough.
- Ragi Rotti would be very thick and filling. You might not be able to have more that 2 or 3 Rotis.
- Ensure that the Ragi Roti is cooked well on both sides. Or, it might cause digestive problems.
You have just unlocked the “Ragi Adai – Finger-Millet Roti – Ragi Paal Rotti” recipe from Home Making Delight. Feel free to take a tour of our space to learn more
If you like our space, please like Home-Making-Delight Page on FB (See the Right widget for LIKE Button) to get instant updates on our new posts.
We would be happy to receive your feedback on this recipe. That would really mean a lot to us.
Have a great recipe or a different version of this delicacy? Have the heart to share? Come on, don’t be shy! Just send the recipe (only Vegan/Vegetarian please) to us via email with your photograph (Optional, if you don’t want that to be published here) and the final/all pictures of your delicacy. We would try the same with our step-by-step photos and publish with your name and photo..
Subject: New Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
Tried this recipe? Please send us with your name and photo (Optional) and the final picture of your delicacy (Not at all optional :D). We would love to publish that here.
Subject: Tried Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
ALL THE CONTENTS in this site are copyrighted to HOMEMAKINGDELIGHT. Plagiarism is a punishable offense by law.