Idli Upma Recipe – Left Over Idli Recipe
Idli Upma is a common tiffin in South India usually prepared using the left over idlis from the previous day. The crumbled idlis are sautéed with spices, onions & vegetable or nuts of our choice. Save your cooking time after a long day by serving your family with left-over idlis in the form of a tasty upma. 🙂
Idlis play a vital role in the south Indian meal since like forever 😀 They are easy to digest and are great when accompanied with sambhar, chutney or kothsu. It has always been my backup plan whenever guests come over. We always plan for 2 or 3 tiffin items, when there are relatives. One would always be a bit special for relatives as there are fair chances for that to fail due to several reasons like sudden power cut, unavailability of veggies or even when the recipe fails. So, the saviour would always be idli with chidambaram kothsu. Idlies are quite plain, but when served hot with chidambaram kothsu, it would be a delight always. 😀 We will get to that chidambaram kothsu recipe later. 😐
Idlies are bound to be left-over all the time. We can give a nice make-over to those in several ways like Idli Upma, Idli Seeralam, Chilly Idli, Fried Idli & so on. Idli Upma is the easiest to prepare among these and you can also serve it as lunch for kids with the vegetables of their choice. Healthy Filling choice, huh?? I never worried when we had left over Idlis in hand, as I was sure that they would be long gone before I knew, if I made Idli upma out of it. My mom specifically makes fresh idlies just for preparing idly upma for me, as I like it so much. 🙂 Try this Idli Upma recipe to make your breakfast or dinner more interesting in no time.
Over to “Idli Upma – Left Over Idli Recipe” from Home-making Delight with step by step photos..
Idli Upma Recipe – Left Over Idli Recipe
Idli – 8
Onion – 1/2 cup (Finely chopped)
Veggies – 1/3 cup (Shredded carrot, capsicum & Peas) (Optional)
Ground Nut or Cashews – 3 tblsp (Optional)
Salt – as required
Cilantro or Coriander leaves for garnishing
Oil – 2 tbsp (preferably Sesame oil)
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Chana dhal – 2 tsp
Ginger – 1/2 tsp
Green Chilly – 2 or 3
Curry Leaves – few
- Crumble Idli with your fingers by greasing it with oil, if needed. Keep it aside covered.
2. Heat oil in a kadai or pan and add mustard seeds followed by chana dal, green chilly, ginger & curry leaves. Saute them until the dal starts to turn golden brown.3. Add onions, peas & salt and saute them until the onions are translucent. Simmer down the flame and add carrots, give it a nice quick stir.4. Then, transfer the crumbled idli slowly to the pan stirring in between providing even heat.5. Switch off the flame, when the crumbled idli is mixed well with sautéed spices. Garnish it with cilantro & serve your idli upma hot with chutney or sambhar. At the end of my meal, I like to have some idly upma with curd and pickle. Try that also. 🙂
- For easy crumbling, refrigerate the idlis in freezer for a few hours.
- Don’t over saute the crumbled idlis once you added to the pan as the carrots tend to change the color of upma in the course of time. You can add capsicum too.
- You can use any cooking oil but using sesame oil gives more flavor. Adding a tbsp of coconut oil after cooking would also increase the taste.
- You can totally skip veggies & nuts and prepare the upma just with onions.
You have just unlocked the homemade easy “Idli Upma” recipe from Home Making Delight. Feel free to take a tour of our space to learn more.
If you like our space, please like Home-Making-Delight Page on FB (See the Right widget for LIKE Button) to get instant updates on our new posts.
We would be happy to receive your feedback on this recipe. That would really mean a lot to us.
Have a great recipe or a different version of this delicacy? Have the heart to share? Come on, don’t be shy! Just send the recipe (only Vegan/Vegetarian please) to us via email with your photograph (Optional, if you don’t want that to be published here) and the final/all pictures of your delicacy. We would try the same with our step-by-step photos and publish with your name and photo..
Subject: New Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
Tried this recipe? Please send us with your name and photo (Optional) and the final picture of your delicacy (Not at all optional :D). We would love to publish that here.
Subject: Tried Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
ALL THE CONTENTS in this site are copyrighted to HOMEMAKINGDELIGHT. Plagiarism is a punishable offense by law.