Vaazhaipoo Vadai – Banana Flower Fritters Recipe
Vaazhaipoo Vadai – Banana Flower Fritters is one of the most famous South Indian snacks made from banana flower called as vazhaipoo in Tamilnadu. The coarsely ground mixture of chana dhal, banana florets, onions & spices are deep fried in oil to make this yummy vadas. Hot vadas served with coffee or tea would be a tasty evening snack on a rainy day.
Though finding a fresh banana flower from my neighborhood market is rare, I will make sure to buy one if I ever lay my eyes on it. 😀 We can make many flavorful dishes with vaazhaipoo despite its dry astringent taste. But, it is highly advised to include banana flower/florets in our diet because of its highly packed nutritional value. If made properly, vazhaipoo poriyal (Sabzi made of banana florets), vaazhaipoo parupusili (yummy dhal mixed curry with banana florets) and other dishes made of vazhaippu would be very tasty and totally worth the tough cleaning and cutting portions.
I had a few florets left over after I made vaazhaipoo poriyal last week. Vaazhaipoo vadai popped into my mind when I looked at the left-over florets. The recipe is quite simple except for the cutting part. 🙂 I just added the chopped vaazhaipoo to the vada dough and prepared these tasty vadas. You could easily make your tea-time snacks a bit healthier with this banana flower fritters. 🙂
Health Benefits of Banana Flower:
- Vaazhaipoo is rich in Vitamin A, C, E, Fiber & potassium.
- It improves the mood and lessens anxiety due to the magnesium present in banana flowers.
- Banana flowers are rich in soluble and insoluble fiber.Both would help boost the digestion and absorption of food.
Over to “Vaazhaipoo Vadai – Banana Flower Fritters“ recipe from Home-Making-Delight with step by step photos..
Vaazhaipoo Vadai | Banana Flower Fritters | Arati Puvuu vada | Vazha Koombu Vada | Vaazha Chundu vada | Vazha kodappan fritters | Balle Hoovu Vada | Bale Motho vada | Kele-Ka-Phool fritters
Makes 15 Vaazhaipoo Vadai
Chana dal – 1 cup
Banana Florets – 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
Note: Check how to clean and cut the banana florets here.
Onion – 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
Green Chilly – 3 (finely chopped)
Hing or Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Cilantro – 3 tblsp
Salt as required
Oil for deep frying
- Wash and soak chana dal for 3 hours. Drain the water completely from it & keep aside.2. Extract the florets from the banana flower, remove the inedible stalk from florets and chop the edible part finely. Click the link for detailed pictorial reference. 3. Grind the soaked chana dal coarsely in the mixer grinder without any water.4. Add banana florets, onion, green chilly, curry leaves, cilantro & salt to the coarsely ground chana dal mixture and mix well.5. Divide the dough into equal sized balls and flatten the surface by pressing gently. Heat oil in a wok or pan and gently drop the uncooked vadas.6. Once the vadas get cooked on both sides, remove from oil & drain on a paper towel.7. Serve your vazhaipoo vadai hot or warm with your evening tea or coffee. It would taste great without any accompaniments. But if you like, you can have it with coconut chutney.
Do check out all our recipes for Snacks.
- Make sure to grind the chana dal neither too coarse nor too smooth.
- Fry the vadas in medium heat in a way that when you drop the vadas it should rise to the surface of the oil.
- You can red chillies, ginger-garlic paste & fennel seeds (sombu), if you like the flavor.
You have just unlocked the “Vaazhaipoo Vadai – Banana Flower Fritters” recipe from Home Making Delight. Feel free to take a tour of our space to learn more.
If you like our space, please like Home-Making-Delight Page on FB (See the Right widget for LIKE Button) to get instant updates on our new posts.
We would be happy to receive your feedback on this recipe. That would really mean a lot to us.
Have a great recipe or a different version of this delicacy? Have the heart to share? Come on, don’t be shy! Just send the recipe (only Vegan/Vegetarian please) to us via email with your photograph (Optional, if you don’t want that to be published here) and the final/all pictures of your delicacy. We would try the same with our step-by-step photos and publish with your name and photo..
Subject: New Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
Tried this recipe? Please send us with your name and photo (Optional) and the final picture of your delicacy (Not at all optional :D). We would love to publish that here.
Subject: Tried Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
ALL THE CONTENTS in this site are copyrighted to HOMEMAKINGDELIGHT. Plagiarism is a punishable offense by law.