Rava Idli – Semolina Idli – Instant Idli Recipe
Rava Idli is one of the most popular breakfast/dinner varieties in south India prepared out of Rava/Sooji/Semolina. Feel like eating Idlies? Don’t have time for that lengthy process of fermentation? No worries! 🙂 Rava Idlis are there for rescue. You can always prepare this healthy,”equally-tasty” and time-saving Rava Idlis instead of normal ones. 🙂
Traditional Rice/Urad dhal Idli recipe calls for a minimum 10 hours for soaking & fermentation, but this one is easy & quick. Traditional Idli making involves many steps starting from soaking the rice (which I always forget to soak ON TIME) and grinding it with soaked Urad dhal in mixie (as I don’t have a grinder 🙁 ) & the time it takes to ferment the batter (All those ways, I tried to accelerate that one in this climate.. Oh, Boy! That’s a different story) make the job even harder for making those Idlis often (Recollecting those days when I used to question my Mom “Is it Idly again today?” Oh, I miss Idlis 🙁 ) Hmmm.. Now, Rava Idli is seriously a godsend for me 😀 You can make this as soft as our traditional idlis and they taste even better 🙂
Have some unexpected guests??!!?? You can make the dinner perfect by adding rava idlis to the menu with a smile on your face :-).
Over to “Rava Idli – Instant Idli Recipe“ from Home-Making-Delight with step by step photos..
Makes 8 – 10
Rava or Sooji – 1 cup
Curd – 1 cup
Water – 1/4 cup
Baking Soda / Eno fruit salt (Regular) – 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves – 2 tblsp (finely chopped)
Carrot – 3 tblsp (finely shredded) optional
Salt as required
Oil – 1 tblsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1/2 tsp
Chana dhal – 1 tblsp
Asafoetida or Hing – 1/4 tsp
Ginger – 1 tsp
Green chilli – 3 (finely chopped)
Curry leaves – few
Peanuts or Cashews – 1/8 cup
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the ingredients mentioned under “To Temper” and saute them until the dal turns golden brown.2. Then, add rava to the sauteed mixture and roast it for a minute or so. Switch off the flame.3. Once it’s cooled down, add curd, baking soda or eno, salt, cilantro & carrot (if adding) and mix it well without any lumps. Add water if required to adjust the consistency as Idli batter. Let it sit in the room temperature for 15 minutes. You can leave upto 1-2 hours for better results.4. Grease the Idli moulds with oil. Then, pour the batter in the moulds and steam cook them for 10-15 minutes.5. Once cooked, scoop the idlis out from moulds and serve your tasty Rava Idli hot or warm with chutney.
- Usually, whenever I buy rava, I roast them in bulk and then store in an air-tight container. We don’t have to roast them everytime when we prepare upma, kheer or kichadi. 🙂
- You can add shredded carrots or beetroot to the batter to make it more colorful/ healthy and tasty 🙂
- Reduce the amount of baking soda if you are adding sour curd. But, don’t skip it. I tried once and my rava idlies were hard. 🙁 If you want to prepare without baking soda, please use eno fruit salt (Regular, non-flavored).
- Don’t reduce the amount of curd as it makes the idlis softer.
You have just unlocked the “Rava Idli – Instant Idli” recipe from Home Making Delight. Feel free to take a tour of our space to learn more.
If you like our space, please like Home-Making-Delight Page on FB (See the Right widget for LIKE Button) to get instant updates on our new posts.
We would be happy to receive your feedback on this recipe. That would really mean a lot to us.
Have a great recipe or a different version of this delicacy? Have the heart to share? Come on, don’t be shy! Just send the recipe (only Vegan/Vegetarian please) to us via email with your photograph (Optional, if you don’t want that to be published here) and the final/all pictures of your delicacy. We would try the same with our step-by-step photos and publish with your name and photo..
Subject: New Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
Tried this recipe? Please send us with your name and photo (Optional) and the final picture of your delicacy (Not at all optional :D). We would love to publish that here.
Subject: Tried Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
ALL THE CONTENTS in this site are copyrighted to HOMEMAKINGDELIGHT. Plagiarism is a punishable offense by law.