Rava Kichadi – Sooji khichdi – Semolina Khichidi – Easy South Indian Tiffin
Rava Kichadi – Sooji Kichadi is an upgraded tangy version of rava upma cooked from sooji, onions and veggies and usually served as breakfast, dinner or mid-evening tiffin. It’s such a quick recipe and would be tasty too. When guests suddenly surprise us and there is no much time left, we can prepare this rava kichadi in a jiffy and pair it up with coconut chutney. As we add cashews, ghee and almonds, this would not be just a plain boring upma anymore. 🙂
I like this Rava kichadi prepared in Saravana Bhavan hotel. They add ghee and cashews lavishly that every spoon we take would have a few cashews. 😀 This would sure add up the taste and our weight. 😀 But, it’s not that tough a recipe. 🙂 This is a fail-proof recipe that any novice cook can prepare without making any mess. Do try out this bachelor recipe and let me know how it comes out. 😐
In south India, most people would usually make only upma varieties and complain that it’s boring. We can prepare Upma from Rava (Sooji), Semiya upma (vermicelli), Broken wheat rava, broken rice(Rice upma), Idlies (Idly upma), etc. Basically, Kichadi is also a upma minus the boring component. We add loads of veggies, tomato and lemon juice to bring in a tangy taste to the upma and lavishly add cashews and ghee to give it a rich taste and call that a kichidi. 🙂 Kichadi can be paired up with Sambhar and/or coconut chutney or peanut chutney. Over to Rava Kichadi Recipe from HomeMaking-Delight with step by step photos..
Rava kichadi Recipe | Sooji Khichdi | Semolina Khichidi | Flavored Ravva Upma | Suji kichdi | Tamil Nadu Ravai Kichadi | Ravo Upma | Sajeegai Khichadi | Rawa Tiffin | Ravae Kichadi
Sooji (Rava) – 1 cup
Peas – 1/4 cup (or Peas/Corn mixture)
Carrot – 1
Beans – 10
Onions – 2 (Medium sized)
Tomato – 1
Water – 2.5 cups
Ghee – 3 tbsp
Oil – 3 tbsp
Turmeric – a pinch
Ginger – a small piece (Grated)
Green chillies – 3
Salt – as needed
Cashew/Badam – 10 (optional)
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
Thinly sliced capsicum – 1/4 cup (Optional)
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry roast sooji in medium flame until a nice aroma arises and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add chopped onions and curry leaves and saute well until the onions turn pink.
- Now, add chopped green chillies and grated ginger and saute for a minute. Add chopped tomato and cook well until it turns mushy.
- Add, grated carrot, chopped beans and capsicum and peas (and corn).
- Mix well and cook for a few minutes until the veggies are cooked. Sprinkle water, if needed.
- Add water and bring it to boil. Add salt and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Simmer the stove and add rava little by little with constant stirring. Take care not to form any lumps. Cook for a minute and switch the flame off. Add ghee lavishly to the kichadi and close it with a lid. Fry a few cashews and almond in ghee and add that along with the ghee to Rava Kichadi. 🙂
- Before serving, add a tsp of lemon juice and mix well. Garnish with cilantro. Serve your tasty Rava kichadi hot with coconut-peanut chutney. 🙂
- Adding more ghee and cashews would give a rich restaurant-like taste to our Rava Kichadi. You can skip, if you don’t like.
- You can skip adding lemon juice, if you are not a big fan of lemon juice or if your tomatoes are already tangy enough.
You have just unlocked the “Rava Kichadi – Sooji Khichdi” recipe from Home Making Delight. Feel free to take a tour of our space to learn more
If you like our space, please like Home-Making-Delight Page on FB (See the Right widget for LIKE Button) to get instant updates on our new posts.
We would be happy to receive your feedback on this post. That would really mean a lot to us.
Have a great recipe or a different version of this delicacy? Have the heart to share? Come on, don’t be shy! Just send the recipe (only Vegan/Vegetarian please) to us via email with your photograph (Optional, if you don’t want that to be published here) and the final/all pictures of your delicacy We would try the same with our step-by-step photos and publish with your name and photo..
Subject: New Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
Tried this recipe? Please send us with your name and photo (Optional) and the final picture of your delicacy (Not at all optional :D). We would love to publish that here
Subject: Tried Recipe – HomeMakingDelight – <Recipe-Name>
ALL THE CONTENTS in this site are copyrighted to HOMEMAKINGDELIGHT. Plagiarism is a punishable offense by law.